For quite sometime now Syntcorp has diversified or rather focused (is the proper term) in promoting companies that are in the Hospitality industry. We have now focused in the field of digital marketing for tourism in the Philippines and have been working on several research on how we could use technology in promoting tourism and travel.
The Need For Digital Tourism
Travel seems to be one of the trends right now as it ranks up there with technology and lifestyle topics. Filipinos are more inclined to travel because of the different marketing efforts being done by every place in the Philippines. Thus, we have seen the competition online to be rising to a whole new level, unfortunately it is only those that are well aware of the different benefits of social media and SEO who are benefiting and are getting the fruits of their social media and seo investment. Small businesses in the hospitality industry are being left out and are really not capturing a huge percentage of audience source. We are sharing this great infographic on why the Hospitality Industry should enter into a the world of SEO and Social Media to share with you the fact that Social Media and SEO are here to stay and are essential to your business.
Many webmasters are asking the question where should i link? This question became very common because of the fact that Google has already banned the use of spam links as a ranking signal through the Google Penguin algorithm. What is Google Penguin? Well it is basically an algorithm that is tasked to do one thing in general, identify websites that are using spam links for ranking and penalize such website either by sandboxing the site or by de-ranking it.
The Right Link Building Process in 2013
So what are the right type of links? or should we say to which sites should we link to? To answer that question we have to take into consideration the fact that we should not link to every site we see. We have to determine the Right website where we should link to. Here are some of the criteria that you have to determine whether or not you should link to such website.
1. Relevancy – this means that you should link to a website that is relevant to your website’s niche. To make it simple look to link to websites that are of the same category as yours for example if your website is focused on travel then link to websites that are also on the same niche like transportation sites, hotels or travel blogs. It might be considered as a spam link if you link your travel site from a site that talks about plumbing.
2. Trust Rank – a trust rank is an algorithm that separates “legitimate” webpages from spam web pages. This means that links coming from spam sites would decrease your trust rank while getting links from domains that are highly trusted will increase your trustrank. TrustRank weeds out irrelevant contents so make sure that you link only to trusted and relevant pages.
3. Page Rank – although some SEO would contend that page rank does not play a role in link building, we say in our own expert opinion, it does. Page rank is Google’s way of rating a website page on its authority based on hyperlinks. It also denotes the rank value of a webpage and moreover it is one of the ranking factors for Google. Getting a link from webpages with page rank 2 and higher would of course mean that such high ranking websites are “voting” for your website so it is a good link building practice to take page rank of the webpage you want to link to your website.
4. Fresh Links – Link building is a continuous process, it doesn’t end once you have reached a particular page rank or ranking on the search engine’s SERP. The reason for this is because of the fact that every link has its own time decay, importance dissipates overtime. This is why it is a good idea to add fresh links on a regular basis. The Freshness of the links would signal the search engines on the currency and relevancy of the links and the entire website in general.
5. Avoid Bad Neighbors – collectively search engines would view a website and the pages linking to it as one neighborhood. So that means if your website is linking to spam sites and spam sites linking to your site, your website is within a bad neighborhood, something that search engines frown upon. Therefore, you have to choose the websites that you are linking to and the websites that links to you.
6. Create Links When Sharing – social media already have proven that it plays a role in SEO so it is a good link building strategy to include links when sharing via social media. As much as possible when you post via you social media network make sure that you also include your site’s link.
Conclusion on The Right Link
So there you go, when you build your links you have to consider these different factors to make sure that you are increasing not only your sites’ search engine results page ranking but also your websites’ page rank as well as trust rank.
Ok we usually do not blog about questions being asked by our clients or even by anyone who send emails to us. But it is my advocacy to help those who are trying to help themselves. So this time i will start answering questions that you may want to ask with restrictions of course. I have been getting this similar questions, “Should I Focus More on Linkbuilding?” “How many links should i build every month?”.
Let’s answer the questions one by one. On the question, “Should I Focus more on Linkbuilding?” The answer there is no. Remember that there should be more to your linkbuilding than just building links. First you should have compelling and quality content, otherwise your high rank in the SERP would be useless as it would just bring you a high bounce rate. Imagine this, your content does not give any value and not really something of interest to your traffic what do you think will happen? Of course they will click away from your website which means a high bounce rate for you. If I am not mistaken high bounce rate could mean disaster for your SERP.
So How Do We Make Our Site Get More Traffic?
I think i have to go with Matt Cutts and other SEO’s and to break these down here are some tips:
1. Create Compelling Content – if you create a content that is needed by your audience then you are making a content that is worth sharing. Contents that are compelling enough to be shared gets more traffic not only from Search Engines but also from Social Media.
2. Remember Search Engine is not the Only Source of Traffic – Social media plays a huge role in creating your brand known. As we have always said a friends’ recommendation is gold, and think of a person sharing your content to his own network would mean gold for you since you will be getting more audience/traffic. Leverage Social Media to make your brand known and do not just focused on link building which only “helps” in your SERP ranking.
3. Repurpose Your Content – Compelling content should not only be creating on one medium, you can transform your content to other medium and distribute it in the networks compatible for its new form. Example if you created a text blog on tips on how to do keyword research then maybe you can create a video of it which you can share via youtube or create slides which you can share via Slideshare.
How Many Links Should I Build?
My advice is that you do not put any number on the link that you build on a regular basis because that would just mean that you are not building your links organically. Make sure you build your links because you have a great content to share and the links are the result of your content not the other way around. So is there a definite number on the links you should build in a month? week? or day? of course not.
Bottomline Should You Do LinkBuilding?
Do not focus on link building but rather focus on creating great content and in marketing that content, your links would come naturally or organically if you create a content worth sharing. Market your content properly and you will be able to rake in huge amounts of traffic in no time.
The advent of social media create a shift of power, previously, the power to dictate prices and the type of service that is given to a client resides mostly in the enterprise or business, however with social media the power shifted mostly to the consumer. As a person engaged in business you cannot discount the fact that gaining social media exposure and bringing your business online is a requirement to get a leg up from your competition. However, by doing this you are also allowing the shift of power to your consumer, which could be a good thing. The shift of power to the consumer means that you understand the importance of having your consumers speak about your brand or business. Yes, you will also open your business up to negative comments as well as other “troll acts” but this can still be a good thing as it gives you the opportunity to convert an irate client into a brand advocate. One thing that you have to realize though is that you are going to have to go through a social media crisis management where the end result hopefully is to turn your irate client to your brand advocate.
What Is A Social Media Crisis?
Well in technical terms this is a situation where your accounts are irrecoverable and that you do not have any means of getting it back. However, for purposes of the situation as stated in the first paragraph we should define a social media crisis when an irate client starts to post negative information about your brand or service just because of a bad experience using your product or in experiencing your service, via social media channels.
Quick Emergency Response For Social Media Crisis
1. Read and Understand – once you see the negative post about your brand or service, try to keep calm and start reading and understanding what the client is talking about. Try to discern where the client is coming from and understand his or her feelings. Try asking yourself what you might feel if you were at that same situation?
2. Keep the Post – one of the most common reaction for a person is to delete the negative post when he or she sees it, but you have to consider how many people would have seen the post prior to deletion? Well you can never track how many actually saw the post. This is why if you delete a post and several people already saw it then it creates an impression that you do not address client problems or complaints you are simply brushing it off and not really doing anything about it.
3. Respond Immediately And Accordingly – if the client brought the matter via social media and posted it publicly then you should also respond in public. Do not wait for a very long time before you respond to the complaint, remember a swift act would mean that you show concern for your clients as well as you show concern for your own brand or product.
4. Respond Politely – when responding NEVER let anger get the best of you, instead create an atmosphere where you genuinely understand your client’s plight and that you will help him or her in addressing such problem.
5. Take the Matter Privately and Settle it There – your initial response might be in public since on the condition that the client took the matter publicly, however it would be best to take the discussion privately by politely telling the client that you have sent him or her a private message or an email where you can discuss the problem further. The public (your social media followers) does not need to know every detail especially if the case is isolated, there is no need to involve everyone in this crisis.
The basic rule in Social Media crisis management is to always put yourselves in the shoes of your client, understand why they said such things and why they are angry at your brand, product or service. From there you could start managing such crisis without losing half of your brand followers, remember that it is all about the customer and what they need, listen to your customers and address their concerns and you will be gaining more followers and possibly brand advocates in no time.
The Penguin 2.0 has been released last May 22, 2013, twitter and other social media networks are abuzz about this new algorithm update. Ever Since Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s WebSpam Team announced that they will be releasing the new Penguin (not just a data refresh but an actual algorithm update) many SEO’s started to wonder what else could the Penguin 2.0 (as internally dubbed by the WebSpam Team) considering that Penguin 1.0 including its two data refresh have already wrecked havoc to a lot of websites? Well things are not yet clear as it is still a few days after the launch of the Penguin 2.0 and we continue to monitor the web for any information about the effects of Penguin 2.0.
Penguin 2.0 Target
Google Penguin 2.0
According to Matt Cutts the Penguin 2.0 will target black hat spam in a wider scope as compared to what Penguin 1.0 originally targeted. Now what is black hat spam you ask? Well, short answer is that these are basically strategies that aims to trick or manipulate the search engine into ranking a website high in its SERP. Since the Penguin algorithm aims to combat link spam it primarily target link schemes, during the first release of the Penguin it targeted blog networks whose main purpose was for link building, regardless of the quality of its content, the Penguin algorithm release led to the eventual closure of many blog networks offering such services. According to Matt Cutts penguin 2.0 aims to target more of that and even the new link schemes.
The Penguin 2.0 Effect
Although it is still early to monitor the effects of Penguin 2.0 in a global scope one thing that was announced during its release is that about “2.3% of English-US queries are affected to the degree that a regular user might notice“.This is a huge percentage considering the total number of websites worldwide using English queries.
The Local Effect
So far, all websites that we have under our care have increased in ranking, it is a testament that following Google’s guide on SEO really works and there is no need to resort to any types of black hat strategies. It is important that what you provide for your clients are quality SEO services by developing quality content and building organic links.
Things to Consider
Ok so apart from the Google Guide to SEO what else can we consider when building links? Here are some of the things to consider.
1. Avoid Exact Match Anchor Text – this is a strategy that makes the statement “what may be true today may not be true tomorrow”. If you have been using exact match anchor text before this time it is a warning signal for Google that such link is a webspam. Try as much as possible to build links that is more relevant may it be a word or a phrase.
2. Link Velocity-this simply means the speed on how you build your links, if Google see a spike in your number of links it is a signal that it is a webspam or a link scheme is up. Try to consider the fact that links are built gradually and at different rates, regularly building links is also a signal that a link scheme is being implemented.
3. Link Relevance – Make sure that the links you get are relevant to your site’s overall theme, do not get links by posting guest blogs on tech sites if you are linking or seeks to promote a travel website.
4. Link Value – when getting links it is also important the value or quality of links that you are getting, pursue getting links to sites that are of high domain authority as well as having a high page rank.
With the continuous data refresh and algorithm updates from Google it is clear that the search engine giant would like to make sure that the user will benefit from all this by getting the most relevant and accurate results. This is why it is important that you create only quality content and links for your site and not resort to any black hat strategies, yes black hat may increase your ranking but only for a fleeting moment. If you want your rank to last then it would be best to make your site SEO friendly according to the guidelines set by Google.
Well, i don’t have one thousand Facebook friends nor my page got a thousand facebook likes, not even close, way lesser than that. Many Social Media Managers nowadays boasts on having thousands if not millions of Facebook Friends and likes on their Facebook pages, but is that really enough to reach a wide number of audience for your advertising? Based on my observation, the answer is no, with the changes being implemented on Facebook’s Edge Rank algorithm we can clearly see that number of likes and friends is just part of it and really not the answer to your advertising woes in Facebook.
Facebook metrics is so helpful as it displays how many people actually saw your post on their news feed. To have your post seen in their newsfeed is what it’s all about why many would market their products and services using Facebook, a kind of free or cheap advertising. One thing that everybody must understand is that while increasing Facebook likes for your page it is not a guarantee that you will be able to get what you might expect as newsfeed exposure for your post. What do i mean by that?
It means that organic (the number of likers of your page who saw your post via their newsfeed) is lesser than the actual number of your Facebook page likes. How do you find this? simple, on the lower left part of each of your post you will see the link (x number of people saw this post).
Organic vs. Viral
As for this Facebook page, notice that there are more than one thousand Page likes however at the “number of people who saw the post” there are only 323 people which is only about 28% of the total page likers. This proves then that the number of Facebook likers does not guarantee a wider audience reach. Compare this with another post on the same page where you can see that the post as it was promoted has reached more than the number of Facebook likes on the page. Notice also the increase in the viral reach, which means this post was seen in the newsfeed of page non-likers.
Facebook Promoted Post
Maximizing Your Facebook Post Exposure
So if we are to look at the two data, it looks like Facebook favors more the paying “client” rather than the free account. However, you have to also consider several factors such as:
1. Time the Status was Posted – if you want to engage more likers of your page you have to consider the time when you post the status or image and the like. This is because of the fact that a persons’ newsfeed is bombarded that the transition of newsfeed happens very fast. If you time your post well you might have your article be seen by more page likers especially on the time of the day that most of your page likers are online and using Facebook.
2. Type of Post – even if you had your post be seen by majority of your page likers if the type of post is not interesting and engaging then it is just a wasted post. Make your status posts engaging or interesting that people would actually “like” or comment on your post.
Facebook is PaysBook?
Even if you strictly consider the factors of time and type of post, even if you make the most engaging post you it is not a guarantee that you will be getting an organic number of views the same to that of your number of Facebook likes. The edgerank algorithm seems to be designed in such a way that it makes it more difficult for a page to gain wide exposure thus forcing you to do paid promotion in order to reach the desired number of views. Does it mean that Facebook is Going Pays-Book? Well consider the fact that it is a business i think yes it is going that route.
Now lets go back to the question, is having “X” number of page likes or friends enough? On that point the answer is still NO as you have to consider other factors as mentioned above.
First off, we are glad to be back and blogging again on our site, last year we ran into a problem with managing our time because of the fact that we had several clients that need our special attention. On top of that we have conducted several case studies to provide us data on what would be the effective SEO strategies post-Panda and Post-penguin, all of which we hope to publish via our blog. In addition we are offering a new set of SEO services and link building packages so please do contact us with regards to our cheaper and better SEO Services and Link Building Packages.
Ok now back to the topic at hand, one of the reasons why we had problems updating this blog is because of the case studies we did in order to see which strategies would work post-panda. Today or yesterday depending on your timezone Google has again released a Panda Refresh update and according to them it is going to impact 1.2% english queries. Of course if you have been following these algorithm updates you should be familiar by now that they do their announcements via Twitter.
New Panda data refresh rolling out today: 1.2% of English queries affected. Background: goo.gl/8Zqy1
Ok now, the link that Google provided is their Webmaster Central Blog Post regarding Panda and how to recover from it once you are hit, this post was done last May 6, 2011 so that is a post when Panda started rolling out. Ok maybe these advises are great to recovering from Panda but isn’t it time to update it since it was more than a year ago and because up to the present there were already 24 updates? My point is there might be some updates in all those 24 Panda updates that may not have been covered by their blog posts especially with the entry of the Penguin algorithm.
Ok if you are hit with the Panda algorithm update it would be best for you to audit your site and look for duplicates or low quality contents and we do not mean just looking at your texts but rather also your images and wouldn’t you know it even your web design might have some effect especially if you just got the template and did not even bother to change it up a bit.
Remove if not change images, texts and your design that you think might just be a duplicate of another or of an original and of course continue providing original and informative content something that would interest your readers or clients.
If you are just starting with Search Engine optimisation, you may have already heard of the statement content is king. Many SEO Forums and SEO blog sites are mentioning that content is definitely one of the primary consideration when conducting an SEO campaign. This claim by a lot of search engine optimisation professionals have been proven to be correct if certain criteria are strictly followed.
Content is Not King
The statement content is king is not absolute this was proven when Google panda was rolled out. Many of the different websites were de-ranked and suspended from being ranked via the Google SERP because of their content. Yes, because of the value of content to be at its peak many have devised a way of creating a lot of content without having to waste any creative juices. They let a software rewrite an existing article. The resulting output however is gibberish, could not be understood and does not provide any value to its readers, grammar is even at its lowest quality. When Google caught up with this technique such contents were not considered king, they weren’t even considered as pawns. The quantity of the content where quality is sacrificed became detrimental rather than beneficial to the SEO Campaign.
When is Content King?
So the question now is when can we consider content to be king? The following are some factors that may guide you in determining whether you content is beneficial to your SEO Campaign or not:
1. Provides information – search engines loves data and they are in constantly on the look out for websites that provides good information. Make sure that your content is beneficial to your target users, it should be something that they are looking for, an information about your company or tips for efficient use of your products, whatever it is make sure it conveys informative message.
2. Properly Written – the use of grammar and correct spelling is a must, content must be written in such a manner that the grammar and spelling conforms to the highest standard of whatever language you are using for your posts. Frequent incorrect spelling and grammatical errors are red flag signals for search engines to scrutinize your site fully before ranking you at the top of their Search engine results page ranking.
3. Not Keyword Stuffed – Yes we all know that keywords should also be present in your content and we cannot stress it’s importance enough. However, it is also has its drawback, if you stuff your content with keywords to the point that you sacrifice the quality of your output then search engines would consider this as keyword stuffing a black hat technique thus would instead cause the banning or suspension of your site in their search engine results page ranking.
Make your Content King
Remember that you have to write for your audience rather that writing for search engines with the recent algorithm changes from Google it seems that making your site content user-friendly as well as informative would gain more favor from the search engine company in terms of ranking. Make your content count by writing something that is worth the time of your audience, readers or followers.
Many of those inquiring about our services have also been asking why we provide monthly pricing for our search engine optimisation services rather than a one-time payment deal. As a Philippines SEO service provider we feel that it is our duty to inform our beloved clients and followers of our blog on why monthly SEO service packages are better than providing a one-time payment deal.
The Premise for SEO
The internet is a large resource where everyone can tap for possible income. However one must understand that having a website is not enough without online marketing efforts or search engine optimisation applied to your website your site will just be a site without traffic, no interaction, no visitors and of course no income. Many people thought that having a website will eventually increase their ROI however this is not the case. A website can be likened to a restaurant or any physical business establishment and just like any business establishment to flourish you need to have clients or patrons. To get such clients you need your establishment to be known to the public through advertisements among other marketing efforts. Marketing is what drives people to your business establishments so you need to be aggressive in your marketing efforts by using the power of the tri media, television, radio and print.
Online Marketing and SEO
In the case of SEO and online marketing you are using the power of the internet to drive visitors to your website and eventually convert them from visitors to leads and a potential client. How is SEO conducted anyway? For Search engine optimisation you are basically optimising your website in order to have your site rank high preferably in page one of the search engine for your chosen keywords. This is why it is important that your website is not only developed focusing on design but also it should be optimised for the search engines to index and rank your website in their search engine results page based on the keywords you have optimised your site with.
So Why Do We Need Monthly SEO?
Going back to the question, why do we provide monthly SEO services? This is because of the fact that SEO is very competitive and a lot of websites or businesses online know the importance of being ranked in page one of Google or any other search engine. Ranking in the top 3 of Google’s page 1 SERP is known to be the sweet spot as this is what search engine users are actually clicking and visiting. Believe us when we tell you that there are a lot of websites competing for such position. Search engines are dynamic and their algorithms are changing so that means rankings are also dynamic. The fact that many websites are also vying to be on the top spot in your chosen keyword, opens the possibility of your site being pushed down by those who are gaining an increase in rank. This is why it is important to conduct SEO monthly maintenance to keep your website on top of the search engine results page provided of course that you have already achieved your desired rank. For small and medium enterprises SEO and online marketing is the best way to advertise your business since it does not cost as much as buying airtime in radio and tv or a full page in print advertising. So I guess we have made things a lot clearer just remember that all efforts will be in vain if not properly maintained.
The society today is greatly influenced by social media platforms such as Facebook, Google Plus, microblogs like Twitter and of course by the different blogs ran by Bloggers. Yes, indeed social media and the internet in general plays a big part in the lives of every Filipinos and practically everyone worldwide. It is no wonder why many companies have been utilizing such platforms in order to increase company brand awareness or basically just to advertise their product. Apart from reaching millions of potential clients this form of advertising or brand awareness strategy is the cheapest if not one of the cheapest for of advertising considering the fact that its reach is worldwide in scope. This is also why many politicians are using the power of the internet to aide them in their campaign. The Philippines 2013 election is just around the corner and many of those clamouring for a position in the Philippine government will surely leverage the internet. Many areas in the Philippines will surely utilizing social media for political purposes, aspirants for Baguio City Mayors, Baguio City Congressman, Baguio City Councilors, Cebu City Mayors, Cebu City Congressman, La Union Mayors and La Union Congressmen to name a few.
Why Should Baguio City Congressman Aspirants use Social Media?
Baguio City Congressman aspirants as well as other aspirants to be in the legislative body of our government should use social media because of the fact that Baguio City is a highly urbanized city where the use of the internet is a common thing among people of voters age. People aged 18 above are those who highly utilize social media as part of their daily routine thus it will be one of the best way to reach out to them for a minimal cost as compared to buying airtime in television or radio which would of course last as long as the intended airtime, unlike for social media such posts will stay online as long as the account exists. Of course it would also be best if your social media or internet campaign is coupled with online reputation management in order to make sure that you only deliver the quality on time information to your constituents.
Technology and Politics
It is obvious that many Baguio City Mayor, La Union Mayor, Baguio City Congressman and La Union Congressman aspirants are looking for ways for their government platforms to be seen by as many people as possible. Thus publishing their output or government platforms online will definitely help them gain more audience. Therefore in the Philippines 2013 election we will expect that most campaigns will be brought online not only for those aspiring a position in the local Philippines government but also to those aspiring a position in the national government.
What We Offer
We offer social media and online reputation management services, we tailor your social media accounts according to your needs and according to how you can best inform the people you are about to serve or are already serving. There is no substitute for an honest work thus at the end of the day it is your excellent achievement that is going to be posted in social media.